LA Hybrids – Care and Handling
LivRio Magazine December 2020, powered by FloraLife
If “LA Hybrid” brings to mind sunny beaches and electric cars, think again: LA stands for longiflorum asiaticum, denoting the cross between Asiatic and Easter Lilies. LA Hybrid features tall hardy stems, large long-lasting blooms (though fewer blooms per stem), a light scent, and longer vase life than Asiatics. LA varieties are available in a wide variety of unique colors.
CARE AND HANDLING TIPS
- Lilies are very ethylene sensitive. Treat them with an ethylene action inhibitor such as EthylBloc™ or FloraLife® EthylGuard to help prevent ethylene damage.
- LAs must be shipped tight cut with blooms showing color but with no open blooms.
HYDRATION AFTER HARVEST
- Start processing with a clean bucket, sanitized with a floral cleaner.
- Cut stems about 1 – 2 inches before placing in a hydration solution such as Floralife® HydraFlor® 100.
- Remove any leaves that are below the hydration solution.
- Hydrate in chilled solution in the flower cooler (34 – 38° F).
- Limit the time between harvest and placing in the cooler to less than one hour.
SHIPPING AND STORAGE
- Shipping and storing lilies should be at 34 – 38° F.
RE-HYDRATION AT STORE LEVEL AND STORAGE
- Start processing with a clean bucket, sanitized with D.C.D.® cleaner.
- If received dry packed, conditioning of stem ends is recommended to prevent blockage and promote uptake. Cut approximately 1” or more off stems. Use clean, sanitized clippers or knife, and treat with Floralife® Quick Dip.
- Place flowers in a holding treatment such as Floralife® Express 200. Do not put flowers directly in metal/galvanized buckets. Use clean, high quality water that has not been treated with a water softener as the salt levels can be damaging to flowers.
- Store in a cooler at 34 – 38° F with a relative humidity of 75-85%
- Allow minimum 2 hours to hydrate placing buckets in an area with good airflow.
- Always remember FIFO (first in/first out) when rotating flowers.
- Remove any leaves that might be below the vase solution.
- Cut approximately 1” or more off stems. Use clean, sanitized clippers or knife. If received dry, treat with Floralife® Quick Dip.
- Immediately place flowers in vase solutions containing FloraLife® Clear 300 or Floralife® Express 300.
- Vase life can vary by variety.
- Hydration at room temperature can accelerate flower opening; however, this should only be done when flower opening needs to be accelerated for a customer/event.
- LAs should be purchased with tight buds beginning to show color.
To learn more about care and handling from the flower care experts visit us at: www.floralife.com.
*Product availability depends upon geographical region