Oriental Lilies, also known as Oriental Hybrid Lilies, can grow blooms with an impressive size of up to 8" or 20cm in diameter. Gorgeous focal flowers with an intense fragrance, these cup-shaped flowers with re-curved tips and elongated petals may be speckled and/or bicolor and come in shades of white, pink, and red. Typically available year-round, you'll find most Oriental Lilies boast 2-6 blooms per stem depending on the variety. The vase life of Oriental Lilies can be extensive, by following a few simple care and handling tips, Oriental Lilies will perform extremely well and add marvelous color and texture to your designs!
Problems & Solutions
After exposure to low temperatures post harvest, Oriental Lilies can become more ethylene sensitive which can lead to flower bud abscission, or insufficient flower development. For best protection, use EthylBloc™ products during transport and storage.
Foliage is typically more susceptible to Botrytis than blooms. To avoid this issue do not over pack buckets with bunches to allow enough breathing room between stems. Also, respect the cold chain and avoid temperature fluctuations. Do not get water on or handle the flowers by their blooms.
Prone to Physical/Mechanical Damage
Oriental Lilies should be harvested when the first bud on the stem starts to show color but should not be open. Foliage and buds tend to bruise easily. For best results when packing, be sure bunches are securely fastened in the box but do not pull strap too tight.
For premature leaf yellowing, use an anti-yellowing treatment at farm level after harvest such as FloraLife® Bulb 100* or Lily specific flower food.
Pollen sheds will stain whatever they touch. Remove the yellow anthers as soon as the bloom opens to prevent pollen from staining.
Need to Know: Oriental Lilies Helpful Hints
Properly Mixed Flower Food: The Benefits.
- Helps blooms fully develop and open.
- Helps Oriental Lilies stay hydrated and avoid wilting.
- Longer vase life & better color retention.
Keep it Fresh!
- Pre-treatments such as FloraLife® Bulb 100* at farm level help maintain the quality of leaves and buds. Use EthylBloc™ products during transport and storage to minimize any risk from exposure to ethylene.
- Recommended flower food solution for storage/transport: FloraLife® Express Clear ULTRA 200, FloraLife® Clear 200
- Recommended flower food solution for end consumers: FloraLife® Bulb Food Clear 300* Packets, FloraLife® Express or FloraLife Crystal Clear®*
- Cooler / Storage temperature should be 38-41°F, 3-5°C (Optimum 39°F or 4°C)
- Shipping wet pack is preferred. Be sure to maintain flower food solution if shipping wet and whether wet or dry respect the cold chain throughout the distribution process.
- Use FloraLife® Transport Paper sheets for shipping and storage.
- Average vase life for Oriental Lilies is 6 to14 days.
- Aperture, or opening speed, is slow, especially when received in the bud stage and stored in the cooler. Opening speed will increase in warmer ambient temperatures.
- Oriental Lilies can be mixed with other flowers without any negative or harmful effects.
- When purchasing, look for healthy green foliage, a straight stem, and plenty of well-formed buds with only one flower beginning to open. Pay attention to transparent, dried or dropped flower buds which are signs of ethylene damage.
- When processing or designing, be sure to remove any foliage that may be below water level.
- Oriental make fantastic focal flowers! If you are designing in a vase, be sure to remove any leaves that may be below the solution level. Leaf yellowing can be an issue when designing in foam. Be sure to cut stems at a sharp angle before inserting into foam. Use OASIS® MaxLife for best hydration. Check foam often to be sure flowers stay hydrated. Use a secure foam as blooms are weighted to stem ends.
- Use FloraLife® Finishing Touch spray once designs are complete to keep blooms fresh and hydrated.
- You can store Oriental Lilies in a cooler up to 7 days. Some bud necrosis has been observed with prolonged storage so it's always best to follow FIFO (First In First Out) inventory rotation to ensure flowers are their freshest.
Want to chat about Oriental Lilies for expert care and handling tips? Visit FloraLife.com or contact your local representation for an in-person consultation!
*Product availability depends upon geographical region. Check here more information.