The Cymbidium Orchid is a symbol of morality, virtue, beauty, refinement, and love. A timeless choice for weddings, Cymbidiums can be incorporated into any design as a line flower creating a stunning, showy display or using just the blooms in more delicate wedding work like corsages and bridal bouquets. Available in yellow, orange, green, pink, red and brown Cymbidium Orchids make a statement and have an incredibly long vase life when you follow a few simple care and handling rules.
Problems & Solutions
Cymbidium Orchids are ethylene sensitive which might result in flower discoloration and abscission (drop) when exposed. Ethylene damage appears as translucent or dried patches on petals and sepals or darkening of the lip and column. To minimize the risk of the negative effects due to ethylene exposure, Cymbidiums can benefit from an ethylene action-inhibitor product such as EthylBloc™* during storage and transportation.
Botrytis (small circular pinkish or brown spots), and Anthracnose (small round black spots on petals) flower blight can occur on petals. Good sanitation and humidity management helps to control the development of Botrytis. Do not over pack boxes to allow good airflow and avoid temperature fluctuations during shipping to prevent any condensation inside packaging.
Susceptible to mechanical damage due to improper packing. Extra care should be taken to cushion blooms, and blooms should not rest or touch each other to avoid damage.
Need to Know: Orchid Cymbidium Helpful Hints
Properly Dosing and Mixing Flower Food: The Benefits
- Helps blooms fully develop and stalk to open to the top
- Helps Cymbidium Orchids stay hydrated and avoid wilting
- Results in longer vase life and better color development
Keep them Fresh!
- We advise growers to hydrate stems with FloraLife® Hydraflor 100 or FloraLife® Express 100.
- Pre-treat with an ethylene action-inhibitor product such as EthylBloc™* during storage and transportation.
- Recommended flower food solution for storage/transport: FloraLife® Express Clear ULTRA 200.
- Recommended flower food solution for end consumers: FloraLife® Express Universal 300, FloraLife® Universal 300* or FloraLife Crystal Clear®* packets.
- Cooler / Storage temperature should be around 50°F, 10°C.
- Cymbidium Orchids should ship dry pack with a water tube containing flower food solution for storage and transport. Line your boxes with FloraLife® Transport Paper sheets prior to shipping from farms.
- Average vase life for Orchid Cymbidiums is 3-6 weeks if protected from ethylene damage.
- Opening speed is extremely slow, flowers begin blooming at the bottom of the spike working their way up to the top. Opening speed will increase with warmer ambient temperature
- Cymbidiums should be purchased when at least two flowers per spike are still in bud form and the rest of the flowers open. If the bloom is purchased individually, it needs to be fully opened upon purchase. Look for perky flowers that are free of discoloration, spotting and brown tips. Check the flowers for any damage when you receive them. Flowers without anther caps age quickly. The flowers are supplied in tubes filled with solution. You can store them in these tubes. However, check the water level regularly and top off if low. We strongly recommend using FloraLife® Express Clear ULTRA 200 as the storage solution in your water tubes.
- Orchid Cymbidiums can be used as a vertical line flower in arrangements to achieve height making them excellent line flower for larger, showy arrangements. Cymbidium blooms are often used in corsages, boutonnieres, and bridal bouquet work. They perform well in foam if hydrated properly. Cut stems at an angle before inserting into foam and check foam saturation daily to keep stems hydrated.
- Use FloraLife® Finishing Touch spray once designs are complete to keep blooms fresh and hydrated.
- Follow the FIFO (First in First Out) guidelines for inventory rotation. For best end consumer vase life experience, Orchid Cymbidiums should be stored no longer than 1 week.
Have questions or need more info? Visit FloraLife.com or contact your local representation for an in-person consultation!
*Product availability depends upon geographical region. Check here for more information.