Liatris, sometimes known as Gayfeather, Blazing-Star, or Button Snakeroot is probably one of the most unique line flowers commercially available for floral design. A tall, narrow spike covered in tiny flower clusters, Liatris has a wholly unique texture with an almost feathery appearance. Liatris is typically available in purple but can sometimes be found in white. While Liatris is a very dependable crop that enjoys an extensive vase life, if the right steps for care and handling are followed it can last well beyond expectation.
Problems & Solutions
Typically has a low sensitivity to ethylene, however, Liatris can benefit from the use of an ethylene action-inhibitor products such EthylBloc™ during storage and transportation or FloraLife® EthylGuard* at farm level to minimize any risk from ethylene exposure.
Highly sensitive to Botrytis on stems and florets. Practice good disease control regime during growing phase. Do not over pack boxes to allow good airflow and avoid temperature fluctuations during shipping to prevent any condensation inside packaging.
Foliage Yellowing & Wilting
Foliage yellowing and wilting can be due to improper storage &/or growing conditions. Use Anti-leaf yellowing treatment to help prevent yellowing and wilting.
High sugar level solutions such as FloraLife® Express 300 are reported to promote flower opening in stems harvested at a tight-bud stage as well as extend vase-life.
Need to Know: Liatris Helpful Hints
Properly Mixed Flower Food: The Benefits
- Helps stalks fully develop.
- Helps Liatris stay hydrated and avoid wilting.
- Longer vase life.
- Better color development.
Keep them Fresh!
- Liatris foliage has been known to yellow and wilt. Use an anti-yellowing treatment to safeguard against this potential issue.
- Recommended flower food solution for storage/transport: FloraLife® Express Clear Ultra 200.
- Recommended flower food solution for end consumers: FloraLife® Express 300, FloraLife Crystal Clear® or FloraLife® Universal packets.
- Cooler / Storage temperature should be 34-38°F, 1-3°C
- Dry is the preferred method to ship Liatris. If shipping or storing wet pack, make sure the shipping bucket has been clean & disinfected & that there is a flower food shipping/storage solution used like FloraLife® Express Clear Ultra 200.
- Average vase life for Liatris is 6-14 days depending on design type.
- Harvest when florets are half open. For long-term shipment it is recommend that flowers are harvested in the tight-bud stage and open after transport with a retail (high sugar) flower food.
- Foliage can experience leaf yellowing, use an anti-leaf yellowing treatment. Anti-ethylene treatments have also been shown to reduce leaf yellowing.
- Liatris can be mixed with other flowers without negative effects.
- When processing, make sure all leaves that would be below the flower food solution level are removed to avoid contaminating solution. If you aren't using FloraLife® Express technology, you'll want to re-cut stems. If receiving dry pack, process immediately first using FloraLife® Quick Dip followed by FloraLife® Express Clear Ultra 200 for better hydration, especially at wholesale, retail, and bouquet operations. Check solution levels daily, if water levels become low, you should repeat your processing steps replenishing with a freshly made flower food solution.
- Liatris performs well in foam following a few precautions. A perfect line flower, Liatris stems are hardy and long-lasting. If designing in foam use OASIS® MaxLife for best hydration. We recommend hydrating stems overnight prior to designing. Cut stems at an angle before inserting into foam and check foam saturation daily to keep stems hydrated.
- Use FloraLife® Finishing Touch spray once designs are complete to keep blooms fresh and hydrated.
- Following the FIFO (First In First Out) is always our recommendation for inventory rotation. Following cold chain protocols, Liatris can have a storage life of up to 7 days. If storing wet pack, check water levels occasionally to be sure stems stay hydrated.
Want to learn more about Liatris or any other flower? Visit contact your local representation for an in-person consultation!
*Product availability depends upon geographical region. Check here for more information.