Hypericum is a variety that has enjoyed a rise in popularity over the last decade. Most often used as a filler, Hypericum is a multipurpose flower, adding amazing color and texture from large vases and arrangements to delicate bridal work. Seeing them arranged with other flowers, most people would never guess Hypericum plants have been used throughout the centuries as a traditional herbal remedy for treating wounds and skin complaints. Hypericum berries are available in a range of colors from green to white, pink, red, and rich burgundy. Following a few simple care and handling guidelines, Hypericum are a long-lasting accent flower that won't disappoint!
Problems & Solutions
Although Hypericum has a low sensitivity to ethylene, to minimize any risk due to exposure, use an ethylene action-inhibitor product such as EthylBloc™* during storage and transport or FloraLife® EthylGuard* at farm level.
Hypericum is susceptible to Botrytis. Foliage can be prone to fungal pathogens pre-harvest. Extremely high relative humidity or temperature fluctuation during shipping should be avoided as condensation on sleeves will encourage disease development. Do not over pack buckets to allow good airflow between bunches and stems.
Bunches should be carefully packed being cautious not to over pack boxes, leaves can bruise easily. Bunches should be securely fastened inside of boxes to be sure berries are protected during transport.
Need to Know: Hypericum Helpful Hints
Properly Dosing and Mixing Flower Food: The Benefits
- Helps stems stay hydrated and avoid wilting
- Results in longer vase life and better color development & retention
Keep them Fresh!
- Hypericum needs to hydrate well, we recommend pre-treating at farms with FloraLife® Express Clear 100 and use FloraLife® Transport Paper during shipping and storage.
- Recommended flower food solution for storage/transport: FloraLife® Express Clear ULTRA 200.
- Recommended flower food solution for end consumers: FloraLife® Express Universal 300 packets.
- Cooler / Storage temperature should be 34-38°F, 1-3°C
- Hypericum can be shipped dry or wet pack without issue, however, since it is susceptible to Botrytis you should avoid temperature fluctuations during shipping and storage.
- Average vase life for Hypericum can range from 10-21days.
- Opening speed is not applicable to Hypericum, it is harvested when berries have reached the correct color stage, berry will not change color after harvest.
- Hypericum can be mixed with other flowers without any negative or harmful effects.
- Foliage consists of round, green leaves
- When processing, be sure to unpack immediately upon receiving to allow bunches to air out, especially important when shipped in sleeves. Look for signs of dehydration. Avoid brown or dry foliage as well as tight, dried brown berries. Never over pack buckets to ensure good airflow and avoid condensation in packaging. Be sure to remove any leaves that will be below the solution level of any vase or bucket. If you aren't using FloraLife® Express technology, you'll want to re-cut stems. Check water levels often to be sure stems stay hydrated, replenish flower food solution as needed.
- Generally used as a filler flower for bouquets and arrangements of all shapes and sizes, Hypericum makes a wonderful accent flower adding color and fantastic texture. Extremely versatile, Hypericum can easily be used in foam or a vase. If using in foam, hydrate stems overnight prior and use OASIS® MaxLife foam for best hydration.
- Use FloraLife® Finishing Touch or FloraLife® Crowning Glory spray once designs are complete to keep blooms fresh and hydrated.
- Hypericum has a strong spicy scent. Keep that in mind as part of your decision process to use it for certain events.
- We highly recommend following FIFO (First In First Out) protocol to ensure the freshest product and best possible consumer experience. If storing product, Hypericum should have a maximum storage time of 7 days.
Have questions or need more information? Visit FloraLife.com or contact your local representative for an in-person consultation!
*Product availability depends upon geographical region. Check here for more information.