Dahlias are one of the most unique cut flowers available in the market today. Typically, available in the Northern Hemisphere from May to October, these bright and vibrant flowers make any design stunning. Though stems can easily get clogged making them difficult to hydrate, with the right care and handling Dahlias will perform well.
Problems & Solutions
Although low, ethylene sensitivity may cause petal abscission and petal wilting in some cultivars. Use EthylBloc™ products to reduce this risk.
Susceptible to Botrytis
Do not over pack buckets with bunches to allow enough breathing room between stems. Also, respect the cold chain and avoid temperature fluctuations. Do not get water on or handle the flowers by their blooms.
Dahlias a very thirsty and have “dirty” stems making them difficult to hydrate. Dahlia stems are hollow and are susceptible to bacterial diseases. For this reason, stems are sometime referred to as “dirty”. The hollow stems dry out quickly and should be well hydrated and kept at a low temperature when shipping dry. Wet shipment is best when transporting at warmer temperatures.
Yellow Foliage & Flecking on Petals
Spider mites or virus can cause distorted yellow foliage, flower thrips cause flecking on petals. Check for insect damage to flowers and foliage when purchasing or receiving product.
Need to Know: Dahlias Helpful Hints
Properly Mixed Flower Food: The Benefits
- Helps blooms fully open
- Helps Dahlias stay hydrated and avoid wilting
- Longer vase life
- Better color
Keep them Fresh!
- Dahlias can be difficult to hydrate, we recommend pre-treating at the farms with FloraLife HydraFlor® 100 & FloraLife® Express Clear 100.
- Recommended flower food solution for storage/transport: FloraLife® Express Clear ULTRA 200.
- To keep Dahlias stems clear at retail, we recommend FloraLife® Bulb Food Clear 300* when processing.
- Recommended flower food solution for end consumers: FloraLife® Bulb Food Clear 300* packets
- Ship wet pack in storage/transport flower food solution if cold chain cannot be maintained, otherwise ship dry.
- Cooler / Storage temperature should be 34-38°F, 1-3°C
- Use FloraLife® Transport Paper sheets for shipping and storage.
- Dahlias have an average vase life of 4 to 8 days.
- Flowers are typically fully open when purchased.
- Dahlias can be mixed with other flowers without any negative or harmful effects.
- Dahlias perform well in foam, be sure stems are fully hydrated before you begin designing. Cut stems at a sharp angle before inserting into foam. Since weight of stems are in the flower head, it is recommended to use a secure foam checking daily to be sure flowers stay hydrated.
- Use FloraLife® Finishing Touch spray once designs are complete to keep blooms fresh and hydrated.
- FIFO (First In First Out) inventory rotation is always our recommendation, this is particularly important for Dahlias. Storage duration should be 3-5 days maximum. Storage for longer periods can reduce vase life by 20-30%.
Visit FloraLife.com or contact your local representation with questions or to schedule an in-person consultation for expert advice!
*Product availability depends upon geographical region. Check here for more information.