Spray Chrysanthemum, or poms as they are commonly referred to, are a must have in flower coolers everywhere and with good reason. Long-lasting, year-round availability, and the almost endless spectrum of colors and varieties available give this mass flower its "mass" appeal! Although hardy, this crop can be temperamental. By following a few simple care and handling guidelines, spray Chrysanthemums are sure to delight adding fabulous color and texture to your flower creations.
Problems & Solutions
Generally at low risk, to minimize any effect due to ethylene exposure, Spray Chrysanthemums can benefit from anti-ethylene technology such as EthylBloc™ during storage and transportation or from an STS treatment at farm level such as FloraLife® EthylGuard*.
Spray Chrysanthemums are susceptible to botrytis developing on stems, leaves and flowers. Practice good disease control regime during growing phase. Be sure not to over pack boxes and buckets to allow good airflow. Maintain cold chain to avoid condensation in sleeves which can lead to botrytis.
Spray Chrysanthemums are prone to physical damage, especially the blooms or they sometimes have weak stems that can break during packing or transportation if not handled properly. Your best defense to avoid mechanical damage is to take extra care when packing and unpacking as petals and blooms can get easily tangled.
Need to Know:
Chrysanthemum Spray Helpful Hints
Properly Dosing and Mixing Flower Food: The Benefits
- Helps blooms fully develop
- Helps stems stay hydrated and avoid wilting
- Results in longer vase life and better color development
Keep them Fresh!
- It is recommended to treat with an ethylene action-inhibitor such as EthylBloc™ during storage and transportation or FloraLife® EthylGuard* at farm level followed by hydration with FloraLife® Express Clear 100.
- Recommended flower food solution for storage/transport: FloraLife® Express Clear ULTRA 200.
- Use FloraLife® Transport Paper during shipping and storage.
- Recommended flower food solution for end consumers: FloraLife® Express Universal 300, FloraLife® Universal 300* or FloraLife Crystal Clear® packets.
- Cooler / Storage temperature should be 34-38°F, 1-3°C.
- Dry pack is the preferred method of shipping but if shipping wet pack be sure the buckets have been cleaned and sanitized as well as using a flower food solution for shipping and storage.
- Average vase life for Spray Chrysanthemums is 15-25 days.
- Opening speed: Once processed, blooms will be fully open within 12-24 hours but will hold for the duration of their vase life.
- Spray Chrysanthemums can be mixed with other flowers without any negative effects.
- Foliage should be green and toward the top of the stem. Foliage yellowing and wilting can be due to improper storage and/or growing conditions.
- When processing, look for healthy green foliage, flower buds protected and free of physical injury and disease (botrytis). Be sure to allow good airflow and to avoid botrytis development. If you aren't using FloraLife® Express technology, you'll want to re-cut stems. If water levels become low, you should repeat your processing steps replenishing with a freshly made flower food solution.
- Spray Chrysanthemums are staple mass flowers that are not only hardy and long-lasting, but come in an array of colors fitting for every occasion. They perform well in foam but for best results be sure to hydrate for at least a few hours prior to designing, overnight is preferable. If using foam, choose OASIS MaxLife® for best hydration. Cut stems at an angle before inserting into foam and check foam saturation daily.
- Use FloraLife® Finishing Touch spray once designs are complete to keep blooms fresh and hydrated.
- Our recommendation for inventory rotation is to follow the FIFO (First in First Out) guidelines and to follow strict cold chain protocols. Maximum storage for Spray Chrysanthemums is 7 days, if storing wet check solution replenishing as needed to be sure flowers stay well hydrated.
Need more info.? Visit FloraLife.com or contact your local representative for an in-person consultation today!
*Product availability depends upon geographical region. Check here for more information.