Bouvardia is a dainty, delicate filler flower. These clusters of star-like flowers are a natural fit for use in floral wedding designs such as bridal bouquets, corsages, and centerpieces. The most popular colors of red, white, and pink can usually be found year-round. Following the right care and handling guidelines, Bouvardia are sturdy, hardy flowers that add unique texture and fullness to arrangements and designs.
Problems & Solutions
Bouvardia is highly sensitive to ethylene. Ethylene accelerates wilting and flower shattering. Bouvardia can benefit from an ethylene action-inhibitor product such as EthylBloc™ during storage and transportation or from an STS treatment at farm level such as FloraLife® EthylGuard*.
Botrytis can infect the flowers. Practice good disease control regime during growing phase. Be sure not to over pack boxes and buckets to allow good airflow. Maintain cold chain to avoid condensation in sleeves which can lead to botrytis.
Flowers and stems are somewhat delicate and can break during shipping & handling if not handled properly or if not packed properly. Handled with care Bouvardia are not prone to physical damage.
Bouvardia is a an extremely thirsty crop. To avoid wilting be sure to check water solution levels often and repeat processing steps as needed.
Need to Know: Bouvardia Helpful Hints
Properly Dosing and Mixing Flower Food: The Benefits
- Helps blooms fully develop
- Helps flowers stay hydrated and avoid wilting
- Results in longer vase life and better color development
Keep them Fresh!
- It is recommended to treat with an ethylene action-inhibitor such as EthylBloc™ during storage and transportation or FloraLife® EthylGuard* at farm level followed by hydration with FloraLife® Express Clear 100.
- Recommended flower food solution for storage/transport: FloraLife® Express Clear ULTRA 200.
- Recommended flower food solution for end consumers: FloraLife® Express Universal 300, FloraLife® Universal 300* or FloraLife Crystal Clear® packets.
- Cooler / Storage temperature should be 34-38°F, 1-3°C.
- Can be shipped dry or wet pack, if shipping wet pack be sure the buckets have been cleaned and sanitized. Use FloraLife® Transport Paper during shipping and storage.
- Average vase life for Bouvardia is 7-18 days.
- Opening speed is slow, blooms will open faster in warmer ambient temperatures.
- Bouvardia can be mixed with other flowers without any negative effects.
- Foliage is typically green; leaf drooping can occur due to poor hydration.
- When processing, avoid flowers with yellow foliage or that are showing signs of wilting. If the flowers shatter when the bunch is shaken, they were most likely exposed to ethylene. Remove any foliage that might be below flower food solution level. Bouvardia is a thirsty crop, check water levels daily and repeat processing steps as needed. If you aren't using FloraLife® Express technology, you'll want to re-cut stems. If water levels become low, you should repeat your processing steps replenishing with a freshly made flower food solution.
- Mostly used as a filler flower, Bouvardia is an excellent flower to use in floral wedding designs like bridal bouquets, corsages and centerpieces. If designing in foam check saturation often to be sure stems stay hydrated. Use OASIS® Springtime foam for easier stem insertion. They perform well in foam but be sure to hydrate for a few hours prior to designing. Cut stems at an angle before inserting into foam and check foam saturation daily to keep stems hydrated.
- Use FloraLife® Finishing Touch spray once designs are complete to keep blooms fresh and hydrated.
- Our recommendation for inventory rotation is to follow the FIFO (First in First Out) guidelines and to follow strict cold chain protocols. Stored at proper temperatures the storage duration for Bouvardia is up to 7 days.
Have questions or need more information? Visit FloraLife.com or contact your local representative for an in-person consultation!
*Product availability depends upon geographical region. Check here for more information.