Bells of Ireland, also known as shell flower, are characterized by their whimsical green spikes that produce unusual pale to emerald green, funnel-shaped “bells” along green stems, adding a wild and natural element to floral creations with wonderful texture and height. Bells of Ireland are typically available year-round and can be paired with any other flower making them extremely versatile. Bells of Ireland are sturdy! Following a few simple care and handling tips they can last much longer than you might think.
Problems & Solutions
Bells of Ireland are highly sensitive to ethylene; exposure can lead to premature wilting and leaf yellowing. Bells of Ireland naturally produce high amounts of ethylene. Use ethylene action-inhibitor products such as FloraLife® EthylGuard* at farm level and EthylBloc™ during storage and transport to safeguard Bells of Ireland against any exposure to ethylene.
Extremely high relative humidity or temperature fluctuation during shipping should be avoided as condensation on sleeves can promote pathogen growth. Do not over pack buckets with bunches to allow enough breathing room between stems.
Stems will get "slimy" if water isn't changed often. Be sure to change water often to avoid this issue, once stems reach this point the damage is irreversible.
Stems of Bells of Ireland have sharp thorns, wearing gloves when handling stems will help avoid any cuts or scraps.
Bells of Ireland are phototropic meaning they will move or grow toward the light. Avoid stems bending by storing away from side light. Choose dark cooler or overhead light for ideal storage conditions.
Need to Know: Bells of Ireland Helpful Hints
Properly Mixed Flower Food: The Benefits
- Helps Bells of Ireland stay hydrated and avoid wilting.
- Longer vase life
- Better color development and retention
Keep them Fresh!
- Bells of Ireland need to hydrate well. We recommend pre-treating at farms with FloraLife® Express Clear 100.
- Recommended flower food solution for storage/transport: FloraLife® Express Clear ULTRA 200.
- Recommended flower food solution for end consumers: FloraLife® Express Universal 300 packets.
- Cooler / storage temperature should be 34-38°F, 1-3°C.
- Bells of Ireland can ship dry or wet without issue as long as you avoid temperature fluctuations. If shipping or storing dry pack, be sure flowers are well hydrated with FloraLife® Express Clear 100 before packing. If shipping or storing wet pack, we recommend using FloraLife® Express Clear 200 storage and shipping solution.Storing
- upright and avoiding any side light is preferable as Bells of Ireland are phototropic.Use
- FloraLife® Transport Paper sheets for shipping and storage.
- Average vase life for Bells of Ireland is 7-10 days.
- Bells of Ireland can be mixed with other flowers without any negative or harmful effects.
- When purchasing choose stems that are not bent, some curvature is natural for this crop. Avoid any blackened or wilted tips as this could be a sign of ethylene exposure or dehydration. Look for turgidity (swelling) in the bells.
- When processing, be sure all clusters that would be below the flower food solution level are removed. Check stems often to be sure they aren't slimy. If you aren't using FloraLife® Express technology, you'll want to re-cut stems. Check water levels daily, if water levels become low, you s
- hould repeat your processing steps replenishing with a freshly made flower food solution like FloraLife® Express 300.Can be used in foam designs, but stems will need to be hydrated overnight prior. Since stems are delicate, it's suggested to use OASIS® Springtime foam for easier insertion. Cut stems at an angle before inserting into foam and check foam daily to ensure stems stay hydrated.
- Use FloraLife® Finishing Touch spray once designs are complete to keep blooms fresh and hydrated.
- We recommend following the FIFO (First In First Out) guidelines for inventory rotation, Bells of Ireland should have a maximum storage of 5 days for best consumer experience.
Have questions or just need some expert advice? Visit FloraLife.com or contact your local representation for an in-person consultation!
*Product availability depends upon geographical region. Check here for more information.