The Matsumoto Aster is a bright and cheery flower perfect for a whimsical touch of color and uniqueness. Generally available year-round in vibrant purple, hot pink, pastel pink, creamy yellow, red, and bright white, these happy little flowers with the sunny yellow center can be used as accent flowers for any occasion putting a fresh twist on the filler flower. Though they may seem delicate, vase life for Matsumoto Asters can be surprisingly long if the right steps for care and handling are followed.
Problems & Solutions
Usually a low sensitivity to ethylene, Aster Matsumoto can benefit from the use of an ethylene action-inhibitor product such EthylBloc™ during storage and transportation or FloraLife® EthylGuard* at farm level to minimize any risk to flowers from ethylene exposure.
Although Botrytis sensitivity is low, Matsumoto Asters tend to mold if there is not enough airflow between bunches. Do not over pack boxes or buckets to allow good airflow and avoid temperature fluctuations during shipping to prevent any condensation inside packaging. Flowers susceptible to Itersonilia petal blight. Myclobutanil, potassium bicarbonate, and propiconazole were reported to be effective treatments. (McGovern, R.J., et al. ACS Publications, 27 Jul 2018.)
Matsumoto Aster is an extremely thirsty crop, and hydration is the key to the longest possible vase life. Treat with FloraLife® Hydraflor 100 after harvest to condition and aid in hydrating stems completely before packing and shipping. FloraLife® Quick Dip should be used again when processing at retail level.
Need to Know: Aster Matsumoto Helpful Hints
Properly Dosing and Mixing Flower Food: The Benefits
- Helps blooms fully develop and open.
- Helps Aster Matsumoto stay hydrated and avoid wilting.
- Results in longer vase life and better color development.
Keep them Fresh!
- Aster Matsumoto needs to hydrate very well and constantly to stay fresh. We recommend treating at farms with FloraLife® Express Clear 100 or FloraLife® Hydraflor 100.
- Recommended flower food solution for storage/transport: FloraLife® Express Clear ULTRA 200, FloraLife® Clear 200, or FloraLife® 200.
- Recommended flower food solution for end consumers: FloraLife® Express Universal 300, FloraLife® Universal 300* or FloraLife Crystal Clear® flower food packets.
- Cooler / storage temperature should be 34-38°F, 1-3°C
- Matsumoto can ship dry or wet without issue as long as you maintain the cold chain throughout distribution. Ship/store upright if possible. If you are shipping or storing dry pack, be sure flowers are well hydrated at farm level prior to packing. Wet packed, we recommend that you do not pack too tight to allow for ventilation between bunches.
- Line your boxes with FloraLife® Transport Paper sheets prior to shipping from farms.
- Average vase life for Aster Matsumoto is 5-10 days.
- Blooms will open but hold; opening speed will increase with warmer ambient temperature.
- Any foliage below the solution level should be removed to avoid contamination.
- Aster Matsumoto will not harm other flowers if used in mixed design.
- When processing, product should be received when blooms are approximately 75% open. Avoid stems with yellowing leaves as it could indicate improper storage or growing conditions. Be sure all leaves that would be below the flower food solution level are removed. If you aren't using FloraLife® Express technology, you'll want to re-cut stems. If receiving dry pack, process immediately first using FloraLife® Quick Dip followed by a store & transport solution. This is especially important at wholesale, retail, and bouquet operations. Check water solution levels daily, if levels become low, you should repeat your processing steps replenishing with a freshly made flower food solution.
- Aster Matsumoto performs well in foam given some extra attention to hydration. If designing in foam use OASIS® MaxLife to maintain best hydration. We recommend hydrating stems overnight prior to designing. Aster Matsumoto is utilized best as a filler or accent flower. Cut stems at an angle before inserting into foam and check foam saturation daily to keep stems hydrated.
- Use FloraLife® Finishing Touch spray once designs are complete to keep blooms fresh and hydrated.
- As always, our recommendation for inventory rotation is following FIFO (First In First Out) guidelines. Adhering to cold chain protocols, Aster Matsumoto's storage life should not exceed 5 days. If storing wet pack, check water solution levels daily to be sure stems stay hydrated.
Want to learn more or need expert advice? Visit FloraLife.com or contact your local representation for an in-person consultation!
*Product availability depends upon geographical region. Check here for more information.