1. A: Cleanliness is usually underestimated in terms of its importance concerning postharvest vase life. For anyone handling fresh flowers, the need for clean buckets is a reality. It’s a fact that dirty buckets can cause dangerous build-up of bacteria and fungi which can lead to disease development, stem clogging and ultimately shortened flower life. These tiny organisms also give off ethylene, a gas that can reduce the quality and life of fresh flowers. The bottom line is that cleaner buckets can lead to healthier, longer-lasting cut flowers.
Flower stem cells contain a sugary sap which is released when they are cut. The sugary sap can actually feed bacteria which exist in the bucket and encourage them to multiply. These bacteria clog small vessels inside the stems that carry water and thus impede the ability of the stems to take up water and nutrients. Floralife® D.C.D.® Cleaner is effective in removing these harmful bacteria from buckets and other surfaces. After scrubbing buckets with the Floralife® D.C.D.® Cleaner solution there is no need to rinse them. The coating will be effective in keeping the bucket clean. Once buckets are cleaned, make sure they stay that way by not placing clean buckets on the floor, or other non-sterile areas before stacking. Either wipe dry and stack clean buckets right away inside each other, or place them on a cleaned and disinfected cart to dry before stacking.
3. A: Daily you should at least sweep the cooler floor to remove and throw away all dead and unsalable flowers to reduce the chance for bacterial growth which harms flower stem vase life and freshness. Every 7 days, once a week, thoroughly clean all the walls and floors in your floral cooler with Floralife® Cleaner according to the product label. Using Floralife® D.C.D.® Cleaner is a long lasting, antimicrobial detergent for efficient cleaning and action against certain bacteria and fungi. It has a residual action which surpasses the use of chlorine (bleach), as it doesn’t break down or evaporate quickly like bleach.
4. A: Basically, Floralife® D.C.D.® Cleaner is more stable, unlike chlorine-based bleach which evaporates and breaks down quickly. Floralife® D.C.D.® Cleaner has long-lasting base ingredients which work together in the fight against bacteria and fungus build-up.
5. A: This product is a general purpose cleaner to disinfect, clean, and deodorize flower buckets, vases, containers, tools, work surfaces, coolers, shipping and packing areas. Read and follow the product label for use, dosage, and application instructions.
6. A: In fact, you should not rinse the cleaner off the scrubbed item, as the protective coating applied will be effective in keeping it clean longer. This also saves on cleaning time which saves labor costs.
9. A: As this product is intended for professional use by industry wholesale florists, bouquet makers, growers, and retail florists, it is readily available through a nationwide distribution system of floral wholesalers along with other Floralife® postharvest products.