Floralife® Hydraflor® 100 Hydration Postharvest Treatment
1. Q: Why should I use a hydration solution pretreatment for flowers?
A: Use of a hydration solution is good for flowers, especially after a period of dry transport, for increased quality and enhanced flower life of fresh cut flowers. The solution improves the flow of liquids through the flower stems by clearing air and natural compounds blocking stem cell passageways. Some crop types that greatly benefit from its use are those that suffer from premature wilting and water stress problems, such as roses and Gerbera.
2. Q: At what point in the postharvest fresh cut flower process do I use Floralife® Hydraflor® 100 Hydration Postharvest Treatment?
A: Use of this product for flower hydration may occur at any time once the flowers have been harvested, shipped, or dry stored. For growers, use in pre- and post- grading coolers for maximum water uptake. For bouquet makers and wholesalers us as a pretreatment looking to assure flowers a full hydration before transferring into florist shops and supermarkets where stressful shipping or storage in improper temperatures might occur.
3. Q: Can I use Floralife® Hydraflor® 100 Hydration Postharvest Treatment on all crop types?
A: Yes, this product can be used on any flower type requiring hydration, including mixed premade cash-and-carry flower bouquets.
4. Q: Can I use Floralife® Hydraflor® 100 Hydration Postharvest Treatment as a solution to ship flowers to a wholesaler, distributor, or supermarket?
A: Hydration Postharvest Treatment is not a shipping solution. Flowers during transit should use a product solution such as Floralife® eZ Dose® Storage Solution or Floralife® Clear Professional Flower Food.
5. Q: Hydration solution comes in both powder and liquid formulas, which is the better one to use?
A: Both are equally good. It is simply a matter of preference as to which one to use.
6. Q: Can I use an injector dosing system with Floralife® Hydraflor® 100 Hydration Postharvest Treatment to aid in proper mixing?
A: Yes, use the 5 ml/quart or liter recommended dosage rate at a 1:200 (0.5%) injector setting.
7. Q: For how long should I treat my flower stems with Floralife® Hydraflor® 100 Hydration Postharvest Treatment for the greatest effect?
A: Place flower stems in a bucket of the solution for 1 - 2 hours at room temperature, or into a cooler for overnight (34° - 38° F). Then transfer flowers into the proper Floralife® Fresh Flower Food solution until time of shipment for optimal performance.
8. Q: Will any damage occur to the flowers if they are kept at room temperature for a full day?
A: The best practice and greatest benefit is to transfer the flowers into a flower food solution to provide the proper nutrients once the recommended treatment is completed. If flowers are held longer they will still benefit from the treatment, yet will not receive the needed food to ensure the best development and vase life.
9. Q: Can I reuse any of the prepared solution of Floralife® Hydraflor® 100 Hydration Postharvest Treatment? And if so, for how long?
A: After an initial use, it can be reused if the solution if kept clean of debris and other contamination, along with storing in a controlled temperature cooler (34° - 38° F) for up to 3 days.
10. Q: Does using Floralife® Hydraflor® 100 Hydration Postharvest Treatment help stimulate the flowers to fully open?
A: Floralife® Hydraflor® 100 Hydration Postharvest Treatment will only hydrate your flowers. The “blowing open” or stimulation of the flower to fully open is based upon a time and temperature factor.